Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need A Remote Media Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatman

MIS
Apr 3, 2003
US
Situation:

I have a master server on my site and I'd like to set up a media server in another city. I'm running NB Datacentre 4.5. on windows platform. Me and my sister company has twin IBM 3583 IBM Ultrium librarys w/ 2 drives each. My master is connected via scsi directly to the library. My question is, If I have my master in my area, and set up a media server at the other site, should I set the "robot is controlled by local host" (their media server) or "robot is controlled by remote host" (my master) when setting up their robot? This brings up another question. If the robot is set up for master server (remote control), isn't that going to create a ton of WAN traffic? If it's set to be controlled by the media server... I'm assuming I can set up my policies and vault to still point to and control the storage unit(robot) once its configured, right?

I know I've got about 10 questions in here, but I want to cover all bases before I tackle this project. Thanks in advance for all responses

If I have my master in my area, and set up a media server at the other site, should I set the "robot is controlled by local host" (their media server) or "robot is controlled by remote host" (my master) when setting up their robot? This depends, will the "local host" (their media server) have a robot attached? If so, it will be controlled by the local host with the DB on the remote host.

If your Master Server is the only server with a library, then you will need to select it as the Robot Control device and yes, it will generate a ton of WAN traffic since you will be backing up the remote site to this site.

Thx comtec17, you're the man. My media server will have a library attached to it. Thx again for all your help!

Comtech17, (or anyone else that knows)

Is there any way I can vault data on the remote media server via the master? I've got the media server setup, (its got a robot physically attached via scsi), but I keep getting "Unable to obtain the robotic information for this robot. vault may not be able to eject media from the robot if the robot has no media access ports" whenever I try to add the robot to vault (however afer pressing Ok it goes ahead and configures the vault robot. But, when I go to the duplication tab and select the storage unit I set up for the media server, the volume pools it loads are only the Master servers volume pools, not the Media server's. Like wise on the Catalog and eject tabs. What's the use of having 'volume pools' listed on the media server if you can only use the master's? Why not just set up 2 masters? Thanks in advance for your response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back