Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a RAID Controller Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedavis123

Technical User
Mar 24, 2006
US
I was looking to possibly install a SCSI or SATA RAID controller in an IBM eServer (1U) I have, and was looking for recommendations of what to use. I only have PCI slots, and am looking for something that does hardware RAID. I was reading that a lot of the controllers out there actually do software RAID, which I don't want. Any suggestions on a PCI RAID controller to get for either SATA or SCSI? Thanks

What server do you have? If it is a SCSI model with an LSI 1020 on the motherboard, you already have HW RAID 1.

Thanks for reply. It is an x300 (8672-82X) with just IDE, no SCSI at all. I was looking into the Promise or 3Ware PCI RAID cards, but haven't decided between SATA or SCSI. I am probably leaning towards SATA because of the price difference. Do you have any experience with Promise or 3Ware, or heard anything good/bad about them.. or any other cards you might recommend? Thanks for your help.

i have never worked with promise or 3Ware but it "should" work if they are compatible with your system.... but i have heard a lot of people talking about using non ibm parts in an ibm system not working.....so thats just a little heads up on that......

on the other hand give some more infor and we can help you more

what system are you using?
what are you going to be setting up? (RAID#/ How many disks do you want to use)
External enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back