Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a new AD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardmuir

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2002
GB
I currently have a single A.D. over two sites ( two offices ). These offices will very soon no longer need to be connected.

So the question is - can i split the two offices and DCpromo a server at each site and have each site with the same domain but running completely separately.

Or is it cleaner to set up a new W2K domain at one of the sites and migrate everything over to that ?

anyone have any MS white papers ?

If I'm not mistaken, dcpromo will remove active directory and all the domain users stored in it for the server you demote. It's supposed to remove the references to itself on other domain controllers. I'd do the one without the FSMO roles (or migrate the roles to the one you want to keep). After demoting, a clean install might be a good idea. The other server can be left intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back