Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a NAS Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLK3541

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2005
US

I am the network admin for a small company. They asked me to look into a solution for archiving data that is now being stored on CDs & DVDs. I suggested some NAS devices racks and towers with 1TB & 2TB storage.

They would like to know why we should not just take one of the PCs that we are not using and place a larger hard drive in it and connect it to the network.

Can anyone help me explain why that is not a good ideal for archiving business critical data?

Storing business data that way will work. But so does storing your only copy of your latest financials in the waste basket. Sooner or later you WILL loose it.

Investing in a proper data storage device/appliance is actually insurance against physical failure. It will NOT protect against programmatic destruction of data (that's what good backup cycling is for).

Depending on the critical nature and necessity of online availability you would need to consider 1) a redundant disk storage technology (raid 0 or 5); 2) redundant power supplies; 3) redundant network connections; 4) flash bootable OS.

NAS appliances are at their lowest prices that I've ever seen. I was just pricing a 1TB unit for just over $1K today.

Hope this helps with your argument.

You can look at a SnapServer. They are good and decently priced depending on what you are looking for.

Thank you for all the feed back on this issue. I was able to make an argument that made them look at the critical data solution as an investment in insurance against physical failure. We will be implementing a NAS system, not the rack system that I wanted but going with the Buffalo TeraStation Pro 1.0TB NAS. Your input was very helpful to me in outlining some of the consideration in the design of the storage solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back