Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need a good router for home gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsfreak

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
US
Ok im currently using a cheap network everywhere router.

The problem with it is if I have a friend over and we both try to connect to half life 2 deathmatch, it causes us both to freeze and get disconnected. Ive upgraded the firmware on it, made sure ports were open, etc..

So what im wanting to know is what would be a good router that can handle home gaming? I later on do plan on getting a switch, but I need a router that can handle a couple of people at least.

So what is your guys take on this?

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Oh another thing, if someone could explain all the details or a site that has them so I know what to look for. I understand a lot about them but still list what you know as there is a lot I dont know. Thanks!

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Any decent router should be fine for gaming, I got a generic Linksys 54g wireless router off Newegg.com, they have a lot of reviews that might help you. The Lynksys has been great for games.

A Linksys WRT54G with Tomato Firmware will rock the house for gaming. You can setup QoS on the port to keep family members from sucking up your bandwidth. :)

Already bought a router but thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back