Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a external visual indicator for VM box

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetouch

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2002
US
Hi,

We're running a Merlin Legend R7 CKE4 w/Merlin Mail R3. Now here's the problem, we'd like to either have the general sales mailbox VM indicator appear on all phones in the sales group, or, some kind of external device like a light on the wall in the sales area to alert them of a message in the general sales mailbox. I thought about assigning an unsed extention, then tapping the LED with an opto then out to a realy, etc. But was hoping now to have to apply "science project" logic.

I think I remember from my Definity days you could assign an unused button (with lights of course) to be an indicator or other extensions busy indicator. Does anybody know if the same is true for the Merlin Legend systems? And more importantly if so.....how?

As always thanks for the valued info !

Bill

If you are using the "general mailbox" off one of the three autoattendants, then set the "general mailbox owner" to ONE particular extension. Definities work very differently than the Merlins. If you want to use a separate device, use a cheap analog phone with a message waiting indicator, and put it in the general area. That's the simple way.

Pepperz@charter.net

I had a need for this as well in my home. The workaround was to take an analog station port (we'll call this extension 150) and loop it into a spare CO line port. Then have something answer that port (an analog device. I took a dedicated Auto Attendant port, not programmed as voicemail). As long as that call stays active for 10 seconds, then it'll work.

Program that port as the FAX Messaging extension. Now set your General Mailbox to outcall to extension 150. This will start a call that is answered and after 10 seconds, up to 8 extensions can be notified of the "FAX" that just came in.

I know it sounds like a big pain, but it works.

Hope this helps...

Kris

I have a similar need. My customer uses a phantom port with a primary cover button on a group of sets for in-calls, no answers go to VM, but there is NO visual indicator to show VM messages. I read somewhere in one of the Legend mauals that it does NOT support the neon indicators in single line sets. If this is true, what type of visual message indicator does the Legend support on single line phones and does it sit across T/R?

Thanks in advance!
...JIM...

Howdy
I just received the beehive light from sandman, will try to get it hooked up to test. Sales rep wasnt sure if it would work for external message waiting light on Legend.

Will post results of test, now where did i put the wireing diagram i had.........

pete

I just looked at that behive thingy. I think you may still need to use the SAA (Suplimental Alert Adapter).

John

Howdy all
Testing the line comminb from the Legend unit.
Have not been able to get beehive light to light to indicate message waiting.

Have not been able to get it to light to indicate line is ringing.

Voltage of 50.2 on line always stays the same, (pr4 brown)
No change in voltage on ringing or message waiting light.

Testing the line directly on CO line, I can get it to light to indicate line is ringing.

Now.....remember... i almost dont know what im doing so it could be my testing. I will continue to play.

pete

Hi pete,
When you connect the beehive to the Legend analogue port, it should be the Tip and Ring leads, ie GREEN/RED or WHITE-BLUE/BLUE-WHITE, or pins 5/4 which is the way the sets that have a message waiting indicator are usually wired. BTW which beehive did Sandman send you?

Hope this helps!
......JIM......

Jim

SandMan sent Item # WAL7A on page 46 of there catalog, with lamp clear #wal6t (i think no number on lamp).

You mentioned
"connect the beehive to the Legend analogue port,"
Hmmmmm...i only have MLX digital Boards.

Mabey i'll turn an extention into a FAX extention and try that.

thanks.......pete

Hi Pete,
I was wondering what you were trying to do with the Brown-White pair. On an MLX phone that pair supplies dc battery to an MFM or adjunct module that goes inside an MLX phone. That is why you measured 50.2 volts there. You will not get message waiting from that! You need to use an analogue port. But the problem is what type of indicator is being used for the message waiting feature, incandescent or LED? Typically it is connected across the Tip/Ring leads in the phone set with a resistor/capacitor network or something. The Legend manuals say they DON'T support neon lamps. That's what other systems have used for message waiting in the past. They would float 90 or 100 volts AC across T/R to turn on the neon lamp. I'll have to pull up the Sandman p.46 to see what the WAL6T is: neon or the other. The analogue single line set that Avaya makes w/ MW has an LED, but I don't have one to take apart to "see what is going on" w/ the LED. Maybe someone else out there has some input to solve this mystery!

...To be continued...
JIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back