Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need 64 bit Windows dll and executable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fechen

Technical User
Jan 25, 2002
US
I need to port a C based program to Windows 64 bit. The calling sequence is like this:

Exceutable (A) ---> dll (B) --> dll from Vendor (C) --> hardware

I have everything in 32 bit, works very well on NT, 2000, XP (32bit). When I put it on Windows 2003 (64 bit), it doesn't work.

Questions are:
Do I need to compile (A) and (B) in 64 bits? I can get a 64 bit (C) from vendor. Does Windows 2003 (64bit) suppose to run 32 bit seemlessly?

If I need a 64 bit version of (A) and (B), can you guys suggest a 64-bit compiler? Is there a 64 bit Visual C++? Or maybe a free one will be best.

Too many question :). I just occasionly use Visual C++. C++ experts, please help. Thanks.

hi fechen
have u found a solution to this problem yet?

Yes. I made 32 bit application working on 64 bit, by modifying registry a bit - my application reads the registry to get part of information.

C++ 64 bit compiler, I tried Microsoft Platform SDK. worked well. I ends up not using 64 bit application, since vendors are not ready for 64 bit DLL at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back