Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need 32-bit assembly help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AalfaBob

Programmer
Jan 9, 2004
US
Im having trouble finding 32-bit assembly tutorials without them being win32. Im hoping to start creating an OS soon but I cant find any information(32-bit Code struture, 16-bit to 32-bit jumping examples, ect.) Can you please post any links or information I could use to get started. Thank you.

If you want to use 32-bit code in just a dos program, then using the .386 macro will do that. This gives 32-bit registers (eax, ebx, etc.).

But writing an OS is very different. I'm working on an OS at the moment and to do anything in 32-bit you have to really be in protected mode - quite complicated when you have to set up a GDT, LDT, IDT and initialize task-switching...

The best thing I suggest if you are going to start an OS is to get the Intel documentation, or a book that describes how to use it. Usually they will give sample code, which helps to get the ball rolling...
:)

If im working in DOS with the .386 macro, do I still access the memory in the segment:eek:ffset addressing or is it different?

Also can you write me a short program showing the format of a simple .asm file that Tasm could compile in 32-bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back