Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations gmmastros on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nec sl1100 digital phone dead after reversed polarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirerun

Technical User
Jun 15, 2018
US
Is it possible for a digital phone to burn out after miswiring of tip and ring?
Two 12 button IP4WW phones were connected one after another to incorrectly wired jack from sl2100 system station card. Both phones are unresponsive now.

No, polarity is not an issue, however 2100 phones do not work on the 1100.

It is SL2100 system and phones are from the previous sl1100 system. Not the other way around.
I also thought polarity don’t matter, but I burned 2 phones somehow. Could it be a bad port on the station card?
The phone was supposed to be mounted on the wall phone plate, but I didn’t have short phone cable, so I installed 6p6c jack on cat5 cable directly and probably missed pin 3,4 and crimped it on 2,3 or 4,5
I opened one phone and it does look like side pins of rj11 jack are connected to pcb. Any one knows why nec phones have connector for 2 pairs if only one is being used

I feel like we are missing something here. Are you wiring directly to the station card port? Is the system already tailed out or did you make a home made connector?

Yes I installed rj11 plug directly on the cable leading to a station card and probably got it on wrong pins inside the jack.
I can’t think of anything else. If changing polarity doesn’t hurt a phone something else did

Never mind guys. Phones are working. What happened is rj11 plug I’ve installed was kind of tight fit and it bent all legs inside the jack of the phone.
I could swear I checked that yesterday, I guess I’m getting old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back