Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC PBX Backup Samples

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBX_Auditor

Technical User
May 11, 2018
VG
Dear NEC Forum,
I am working on a project to audit NEC PBX's (as many different models as possible), either remotely or on site, and would like to get hold of some sample backup files that would contain extension, directory, routing, pickup/hunt groups, speedials and hotel features. Is there anyone who can help? Many Thanks

Each NEC model is different. You need to perform list outs for most of that information. Back up's will not help since they cannot be opened and read.

Anybody who supplies information like this is potentially breaching the privacy rights of their customers and potentially opening them up to hacking. Be careful what you reveal!

I can't find anywhere to highlight this thread for deletion but it needs to be deleted ASAP as it is an obvious fishing exercise If any moderators are reading this, please delete this ASAP.

Thank you for the replies. OzzieGeorge - I would be happy to explain more about the company, my contact details and my projects, to eliminate the concerns about this being a fishing exercise, but did not want to breach the rules about advertising. I do not want any client data, simply a sample of the data formats. I am a telecom consultant with 35+ year history in call accounting and PBX interfacing. I have reached out to NEC directly and will take pursue those channels instead.

Yeah and I'm a sixteen year old girl wit a S&x addiction! Like I believe anything you say! You are fishing no matter what you claim. Please cease and desist! if you are truly in the industry, you should know better!

How is this fishing, for what?? I am not asking for any client data! Thank you to OzzieGeorge for my first experience in to what I thought was a forum likeminded people could request some help and support, shame the small minded few are so suspicious. I challenge you to contact me, I will set up a webex and demonstrate our product! Or are you too afraid to be proved so wrong?!

System backups contain alll kids of sensitive information such as passwords, telephone numbers just to name 2. I am not interested in your product, I am concerned at the fact that you are seeking inappropriate access to information. And no I am not interested in contacting someone who IMHO is fishing for information they should not have! This has absolutely nothing to do with me being proved wrong, it has to do with you requesting information that it is inappropriate to ask for! I love the fact that you claim not to be asking for any client data when that is exactly what you are asking for!

As I said please cease and desist as it is truly inappropriate!

PBX Auditor, Your original post requested PBX back up files, not back up templates. Backup files contain customer proprietary information.
NEC has a program in place for 3rd party developers. They offer a development kit. Once your product is developed it can be submitted to NEC for evaluation and if they like it, it could be offered to NEC dealers as a qualified, tested and approved product. As I stated earlier, every NEC system is different in the way data is backed up and stored. Each system has it's own version of PCPro, and no back up can be loaded into a different system. NEC is very protective of their dealers and customers. I suggest you contact NEC and request a development kit. Many 3rd party developers purchase systems to work on their products.

Just to take this one step further, I served my apprenticeship in the UK. One of the first things I had to do was sign the Official secrets act. I am prevented by law from giving you what you ask for. Other countries may be more lax about this but they should be on the same page with privacy laws and as I now live in Australia, I am prevented under privacy laws from supplying the information you ask for. If other countries allow it, I'm sure the customers can sue the people who supply you with what you want for disclosing their data without permission as it is their data and not the comms company's.

Now if you were to offer a downloadable consent form, things may be different but how many techs are going t go to those lengths.

You said "Thank you to OzzieGeorge for my first experience in to what I thought was a forum likeminded people could request some help and support, shame the small minded few are so suspicious"

So this is the first time you have encountered someone who appreciates customer privacy then?

Belvedere states...

"and no back up can be loaded into a different system."

I think this needs qualification as I can load a customer database into another system of the same model and turn on the 60 day license and it will work, you can't load it into another model eg, an 8100 backup can't be loaded into an 8300.

OzzieGeorge - You undoubtedly have the knowledge to assist what I need, but continue to question my motives. Maybe my original request was not explained correctly. What I seek is the backup file formats, not including actual data. If this is not possible, then all I need is the advice it is not available, not to be accused of something so abhorrent as fishing for sensitive information! If someone requested from me a sample file, I could take a backup and 'anonymise' it, replace any sensitive information with random text, that's all I am asking.

Belevedere - Thank you for the message. You are very right. I need to understand what the backup templates look like and if these are possible to read. Not knowing the NEC PBX, other than call accounting, I am not sure if I ask the right questions. The product has been used since 2006 and already audits Avaya, Mitel, Nortel, Alcatel and more but I want to add NEC systems as I have a request from US clients. Again, thank you for the advice.

One piece of information I will offer because it makes your question superlous is that the SL1100 and SV8100 were saved as text but the 2100 and 9100 are now compressed/encrypted so if you want to read a backup, you will need NEC to help you. That said, there is apparently a way to read the PABXs using a script. I am able to write to them using this method and have been told by NEC that it is possible to read data in this way but have yet to get them to tell me how to do it!

Thanks for the information. I didn't expect it to be easy. It is probably the older style sv7000 and NEAX that are most prevalent. Let me again emphasise, I Do NOT want information from a live client, I was hoping to get samples files from a lab or demo system. The extraction of the information from text or encrypted files will be for the developers to work out, I have just been tasked with getting the samples.

Which NEC systems are you interested in? Some PCPro programs are readily available on the internet, SL1100, SL2100. Others require a copy of the respective MAT program which is available only through authorized dealers. Each system uses a different format and operating system. SV7000 was proprietary, SV8500/9500 started with NEC proprietary programs then moved to a form of LYNX depending on the software version. You can download a copy of PCPro for the SL1100 and SL2100, build a database and then get a back up. Those systems are built for and sold to end users or resellers. PCPro for one system type will not work on a different system type. If it was easy, it would have already been done.

belevedere - Thanks for the update. I will try to get a better idea from the client on which NEC system is most popular in the US hospitality sector. The product we have audits Mitel and Nortel remotely, through the modem and engineering ports. I was hoping to do the NEC from a system backup to make my development plan easier but apparently not. Thanks again for your time. I've had a response back from a contact at Hilversum so hopefully can get some support from there. Cheers.

With the hotel market, you will probably find they are much older systems like the ICS (known in the states as the IVS), IVS2 and IPS. These used Matworx and not PcPro. These systems were very unsecured. I've never needed to open one of those backups in text as the systems are so easy to interrogate, you wouldn't bother. These systems have a command line programming method and simple scripts can be used as the system will respond to a command with no new data by returning the existing data. You may be able to do this with the 8300 and 9300 but I have never tried. It may also be possible to work on the 8100 and 9100 the same way as they have a script system but you would have to look at how they are communicating.

Just a note the NEC uses quite an archaic form of handshaking via RS232 which I have never mastered (but I'm a telephone tech) I tend to use time to control the flow.

You might want to look at some of the scripts here.....

OzzieGeorge - Thank you for the advice. Old and archaic are my main market sector. I find hotels many years behind commercial properties as they don't want to spend the money in upgrades. I will certainly look through the scripting you have suggested. Thanks again.

NOTE, the IVS/IVS2/IPS/SV8300/SV9300 use hex code for programming in the MOC mode, or through a phone. Try downloading a command manual at for the IVS. It may give you some insite. Also note the IVS program was expanded in the IVS2/IPS, so look for one of those manuals as well. There was a 2400 ICS system with H/M software. That MAT program is very difficult to find today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back