Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC/Nitsuko i28 System Programming 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoktor

Technical User
Jan 19, 2004
US
I inherited the support of a i28 system and need help finding a manual for system (not handset) programming. The company had a past bad experience with our local NEC dealer and refuses to have anything to do with them and would like me to resolve the problem. I am fine with programming, and think I found the access code to get into the system from a set from another message, but understand that it is useless without a manual. There is also a DMI-U port of the KSU that may connect up to a PC, but I do not have access to the proprietary software, which I understand is flaky as well, but at least I could download and/or document current settings. Any help, direction or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if it was myself who talked with you last, but I may be able to help. I can get burned copy from someone, but it will cost me a couple bucks. Where is your company located??

KILLBOX

Our company is located in Wilmington, Delaware, near the University of Delaware (Newark, Delaware). I was assigned the task of installing a NVM-2e 4-port upgrade to replace a 2-port unit. Fortunately, during the project, I was able to get a PDF version of the 1300pg programming manual and the previous vendor to the KSU did not change the default programming password. It is now working fine, but there are some things (such as very long delays before defaulting to VMail) and questions regarding advantages/disadvantages of different hunting options (for the VMail port, circular was chosen in case a port dies - can recall and use next). I tried to set two of the system timers to less than their 15 second defaults, but this affected other performance so they were reset. I really could use the software program and would be willing to take care of whatever is necessary. My direct email is doktor@null.net. MORE IMPORTANTLY, I am now assigned the task of figuring out how to add CallerID functionality to the unit. The carrier used now is setup for Caller ID, but we would need to purchase the daughter boards for two cards (there are 5 trunk lines in use, 4 on one and 1 on the other) and then there comes the complex programming. Any experience or suggestions on how to succeed here? I am glad you responded as I have read your other threads and look forward to any help you can give me and any assistance I can return.

What do you need software on? The basic 124i system software right?? There is none for the voice mail. YOu just use hyper terminal or Procomm. As far as the daughter boards...Are you looking to purchase them and install them yourself?? For installing these, it's no problem if you have the book.

Remember, you never should pull cards out of the 124i hot!!! Always power the system down first. I've done it many of times and got away with it, but I've cooked a couple boards pulling them out hot as well.

What kind of delay are you having?? When you dial the voice mail from inside to check messages?? Or auto attendant delay??

KILLBOX

The software I need is the basic software for the i28 (family) system. I think I have the PDF for using the software. I have the cable (borrowed) for the VMail and have set it up fine. The caller-ID boards will be locally purchased (unless you have a better suggestion) from a Graybar dealer. Does the system softare provide for a software backup of the KSU? I would definitely want to do that before installation and programming of the caller-ID feature and all of the changes.

I will perform the installation and plan to install when the system is completely powered down. Thanks for the reminder, though, as I may have made a costly mistake. There seems to be a lot of programming for the caller-ID feature, regarding how the info is to be displayed on the LED handsets, and number retention, etc. Have you ever done or touched the programming for anything like this before? I'll just have to take my time and study the flowchart in the manual for what program items need to be edited and what they affect.

Regarding the delay, it is with the auto attendant. It answers quickly, but the delay before it properly rings and gets answered by a VMail port is too long. Also requested, but not found yet, is the ability to alter the number of normal rings to a single handset (default seems to be about 4). I only found system timers that affect the whole system (I think they were Program 1005:5 and 1005:80, which were default 15secs -- sorry if the PRGM and ITEM numbers are off; don't have my notes here). Shortening them helped the auto attendant delay, but made the handsets only ring 2 rings so no one could answer quickly enough. The last group that supported the installation took all of the manuals, notes and info on the system, so we were left with almost nothing. Thanks again for your help; you give me hope, which I really needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back