Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC ESIB8 is not recognized after installed and programmed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

adanMtz

Vendor
Nov 27, 2007
US

I am trying to add on slot 5 a new ESIB8 to an existing NEC Electra Elite IPK 64 KSU.
The KSU already has two ESIB 16s in slot 3 and 4; totaling 32 extensions that are working fine, but when I attempt to program the new ESIB card on port 5; will not take the config.

I enter programming mode, go to key7-key 1, forward to page 5,forward to slot 5 and then select 1 for ESIB8, it shows on the screen my entries, enter (transfer) and logout ( speaker). Then I enter programming again to check, but slot 5 remains as none.

I have moved it to slot 7 with same results.

The phone connected on punch down block has a blank screen . Card is blinking same sequence and in rhythm as the rest.

Please respond with any information that I could use to get my customer satisfied.

Thank you!

1. Try swapping the card with one that works.
2. Look for a jumper on the card for IPK vs. IPK-II mode.

The ESI8-U(20) has a switch on it for U20 mode (IPK-II) or U10 mode (IPK). I am not sure if it is a jumper or a slide switch. You need it set to the U10 mode. It is labeled ESIBSW.

Do you have a PKU on the CPU, which is required for more than 32 extensions.

Thanks everyone for your help.

will attempt to swap cards.
After examined the card strap or switch is not found anywhere.
What is a PKU on CPU? Is that a software feature, or a type of CPU, or a piggy back card?

Thanks again for your responses.

It is an epromm. If you dial "Feature" + 3 the display will show you if the CPU is 48P or 192P. If it shows 48P the CPU will require the PKU (epromm) o increase the port capacity from 48P (32 sta x 16 co) to 192P (120 sta x 64 co).

Great!
I will search online for that e-PROM CHIP.
any ideas where may be fast to acquire?
I been dragging for a month.

Will the actual KSU and station configuration remains intact after installing the e-prom?
Or I must reconfigure the entire KSU?
Thanks,

The PKU chip plugs into a vacant IC chip socket on the CPU. It opens up the system to it's maximum port size. Usually you can shut down remove the CPU and plug the chip in, then re-install the CPU and power back up without losing any database. However, when dealing with an older system with an older back up battery it is best practice to get a database back up or at least a paper copy of the programming. Make sure that the switch for the battery is on before shutting down.

Thanks everyone!
You have made me feel confident to tackle the installation by following your valuable expertise and knowledge on NEC. I am ready to complete my overdue task.

I have ordered the necessary e-prom to accomplish activating new station card.
I greatly appreciate your time and attention!

If there was a way to donate directly I would do that also because you deserve it.

I am starting a Tek-Tips.com monthly contribution.

Reference:
100% of all money received is used toward operating expenses. Member contributions comprise a significant percentage of the money needed to run the site. Contributors information is confidential. Thank you for supporting the site and for being so generous.

David F. Murphy, Founder
Tecumseh Group, Inc.
Tek-Tips Forums
[/i]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back