Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC Electra Elite -- adding digital station card

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPNMRK

MIS
Apr 28, 2012
US
I have this NEC Electra Elite 48 system that has all 8 extensions assigned. We want to add another extension, meaning we have to add another card.

So I got a ESI(8)-U10 ETU Station Interface Card and placed it in what I think is slot #3 (see attached image -- it's the card on the right.) Now the pair going to the new extension has battery but no dialtone or display. I checked 7-1 (Card Interface Slot Assignment) and it seems to already be properly set (the programming manual says, "ETU interface cards are assigned automatically during initial power up" so that apparently worked.)

Next, I checked 4-10 (Station Number Assignment) and set port 9 to extension 108 (the numbering plan is the default beginning with 100.)

Still, all I have is battery and no dial tone or display.

Can someone point out what I'm missing?

Thanks.

The Elite 48 came with 8 stations built in to the mother board. If you have a station card installed then you have 16 stations already in the system. The first thing you need to verify is if you are over the 48 port maximum for the system. That includes trunks and virtual assignments. Since the first 8 phones are built in, the punch down is not straight forward. I do not have a manual with me, but you can try different pairs to find a working station on the new card. Slots 2 and 7 do not have connections. Slot 3 is probably the last 8 pairs for station connection.

Just in case someone in a similar situation finds this thread, I figured out what the problem was.

The manual's statement, "ETU interface cards are assigned automatically during initial power up," isn't necessarily correct. The slot I put the card into is slot #4 (slot #1 in programming refers to the built-in interface, not any of the useable slots which really start at #2 as viewed left-to-right) and I found that it was set to NONE in 7-1. Once I set that properly and checked that 4-10 was properly set, all was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back