Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC DVD writer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePug

Technical User
Jun 22, 2003
US
i've recently built myself a rig. the specs:
a64 3200
MSI K8n Neo2 bios v. 1.4
6800 ultra
36 gb raptor
160 WD PATA
200 maxtor PATA

my problem is my NEC DVD RW drive wont work. i hooked it up as secondary slave with 200 WD PATA as secondary master. i replaced the writer with a Lite-on CD writer and it works fine. but whenever i hook up the DVD rw and put a cd inside the writer led light would just light up momentarily and thats it. sometimes the writer led light and the HD led light would just light up together steady for 3 seconds. turn off then onn again. but its not reading the disk. i can i hear it spin though.

my next step was to try the NEC drive in another PC. on my Barton -based PC. this one has an asus a7n8x board. it worked great. no problems. read any disks i loaded. BUT when i use it on my a64 MSI rig it just wont work. i tried hooking it as secondary master. supplied it a seaprate power and still the same.

what do you guys think?

Sounds like an OS problem. Did the BIOS see and recognize it OK? Also, is it getting a drive letter assignment in Windows?

Try removing it from Device Manager and rebooting. Try a Win98SE boot disk and see if you can read a CD from it at a DOS prompt (see

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

i actually installed win xp using that dvd drive. even used it to boot the win xp cd. but after winxp got installed i noticed it started to act up.

btw, both PC's have win xp sp2 installed.

My NEC 1000 came with a file on a floppy drive when i got it. Did yours? If so then you might try installing it again. I think mine was only one file, you right clicked and hit install and its over in a second.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

You're not using a "tweak" program, limiting the number of drive showing, are you?

nope. im not.

anyway, guys, i think i solved the problem. i think its an incompatibility issue between the NEc drive and nforce 3 IDE drivers. with the driver the DVD wont work. if i uninstall it it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back