Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Neat Little Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
does anyone know the script for those lil icon that sometimes show up in the web bar? you know like the E with the paper behind it beside the http:// is there a script and if there is what is it and were at in the HTML do i put it?? thanks for your time..

Try saving the icon as favicon.ico in the same folder as you want it to show up when the user bookmarks a page in that folder.

I don't have my docs with me at the moment. If that doesn't work, post, and I'll post the documentation on that after I get to work...

put this in the head of your page.

<LINK REL=&quot;SHORTCUT ICON&quot; href=&quot;your_image.ico&quot;>

problem:
it is a favourite icon,
so it's only shown, when the page is
bookmarked by the user.

regards,
buraje

Isn't there a FAQ about this? I know I've seen this question answered at LEAST once in the past week.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard.

Ok you said <LINK REL=&quot;SHORTCUT ICON&quot; href=&quot;your_image.ico&quot;>
ok like when i put my image on it like you mean or whatever.. what is ico and do i have to use ico???????

thanks

Java Boy post this in the VBscript forum. forum329

Wish I could help ya.

This is cut and pasted from techTV.com --

The feature you refer to is known as the favorites icon, found in Microsoft's IE 5. The favorite icon feature allows a website to place a customized icon in the address bar or favorites menu instead of the normal IE icon when a visitor bookmarks your site.

To implement the feature, you need to use an icon editor. Leo likes Microangelo, which you can download at the ZDNet Software Library.

Once you have the editor open, create an icon at 16 by 16. The icon will actually increase to 32 by 32 when it is dragged from the address bar and placed on the desktop. When you create your icon, check that it looks good at the higher resolution as well.

You can create the image in any number of colors, but IE 5 will be decolored to 16. Save the icon as favicon.ico and upload to the server.

The file can reside anywhere on the server that contains viewable HTML files, but the root of your webpage is the best location. IE 5 will automatically search for the favicon.ico file and place the icon on all pages hotlinked from the root page.

What Buraje said is also correct -- it works both ways...

in the head of the page that you want the icon to show up when bookmarked with a relative path to the icon:
<LINK REL=&quot;SHORTCUT ICON&quot; href=&quot;your_image.ico&quot;>

--Paul Prewett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back