Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nearby Share security exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltyTheFrog

Programmer
Jul 28, 2013
US
I've been a member here for a while but never posted in the area before. I came across a Windows 10 feature that allows computers within range of each other to share data. It is called "Nearby Share" and can be accessed via the notifications area in the lower left corner of the screen. I'm working from home connected to work via VPN and a company laptop. I was able to share a work document on my personal laptop from my work's secured network.

I informed the IT security group and they shut it right down. Here is a write up on it:

So I looked in Windows 10 Pro and the setting is off by default. I havent tested with this yet but it makes it seem as if it is more for messaging/email that docs but will look into further. Assuming your IT dept just disabled this setting from being turned on by anyone but admin.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

It absolutely allows for the sharing of documents. I tested it. The IT security group shut it down via group policy.

I had never even heard of that. However, what Microsoft says is a bit confusing:
"Nearby sharing in Windows lets you share documents, photos, links to websites, and more with nearby devices by using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. To use nearby sharing, both PCs—the one you’re sharing from and the one you're sharing to—must have Bluetooth and must be running Windows 11 or Windows 10 (version 1803 or later)."

The first sentence mentions Bluetooth OR wifi. The second sentence says Bluetooth has to be enabled. A bit confusing - is it possible to share by Bluetooth and/or wifi or just via Bluetooth? By looking at other web sites, it seems to be Bluetooth. I always disable Bluetooth on my PCs unless there is a compelling reason to have it on. Bluetooth is like a beacon for hackers like open wifi - though that would be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back