Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Near Real-Time Replication in Teradata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sukriti

Programmer
Dec 17, 2002
US
Hi,
Can anyone tell if there is a way to achieve near real-time replication from SAP application to Teradata?

Please specify a way to extract data from SAP supported by Oracle and transfter. Please tell me if there is some ETL tool which can be used for this purpose.

Thanx,
Sukriti

ETL and replication don't really go together. The question is why would you want to ?

ETL tools are about extract transforming and loading data from your operational environment into your data warehouse so that you can produce reports, analysis, etc.

Replication is copying row for row from one table to another so that you can secure data, etc.

The two are quite different.

I guess the reason you don't want to use your SAP for reporting is that it's very difficult to nagivate for typical reporting tools.

Any of the popular ETL tools will work with Oracle & Teradata and probably already have SAP mapped out as well.

Talk to your SAP supplier about how other customers have solved the same problem. They should be able to help.

Roger...

Thanx Roger,
What I am looking for is to extract data from SAP application in real-time and load into the data warehouse, instead of extracting and loading once or twice in a day.
I want to know if there are some ETL tools available which provide this feature.

Thanx,
Sukriti

Then you'll need to analyse your SAP tables and decide which can the ETLed once / twice a day and which need to be "trickled" or ETLed every time the data changes.

The difference is between time based ETL and event based ETL.

For example, we extract product based information every day because we only want a description and the product grouping information. And we extract sales information as it happens...

Then the user within our Data Warehouse can see all sales with product information via Teradata.

Don't forget to ensure that your user doesn't "lock" the table when they read it and recognise that the ETL process won't be instant - we call the time delay the LATANCY - and your users will need to understand this.

Roger...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back