Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDRs to external addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrdavis07

MIS
Jun 2, 2004
US
I'm the email administrator at my new job, trying to figure out a delivery issue we are having through our Exchange 2003 server. When I send an email out to a distribution group that is comprised of external email addresses, I get Non-delivery Reports back on probably 25% of the list. Of the 135 NDRs received, 3 were directly from the Yahoo Mailer-Daemon, 22 were from the "System Administrator" returning various codes of 5.5.0; 5.1.1; 5.7.1; 5.3.0 and 2.0.0 and the rest were listed in a single long email from "Administrator", stating that the delivery to the following recipients failed. No error code or anything else was given.

Incidently, on June 4 I set up my Outlook here at the office to access my home pop3 account and have been receiving my home email here at the office since that time. This was not related to my investigation, but on June 9, I received the following email re a listserv to which I am(was) subscribed through my home account:
-----Original Message-----
From: Texas Christian University LISTSERV Server (14.4) [mailto:LISTSERV[at]LISTSERV.TCU.EDU]
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2007 12:00 AM
To: Randy Davis
Subject: Your removal from the SCOUTS-L list

Sat, 9 Jun 2007 00:00:27

You have been automatically removed from the SCOUTS-L list (SCOUTS-L - Youth Groups Discussion List) as a result of repeated delivery error reports from your mail system. This decision was based on the automatic error monitoring policy in effect for the list, and has not been reviewed or otherwise confirmed by a human being. If you receive this message, it means that something is wrong: while you are obviously able to receive mail, your mail system has been regularly reporting that your account did not exist, or that you were otherwise permanently unable to receive mail.
Here is some information which may assist you or your local help desk in determining the cause of the problem:

- The failing address is randy[at]DAVISFAMILYONLINE.NET.

- The first error was reported on 2007-06-04.

- Since then, a total of 93 delivery errors have been received.

- The last reported error was: 5.0.0 550 138.237.38.50 is listed at bl.spamcop.net

PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS MESSAGE. While you can of course re-subscribe to the list, it is important for you to report this problem to your mail administrator so that it can be solved. This problem is not specific to the SCOUTS-L list, and also affects your private mail. This means that YOU HAVE PROBABLY LOST SOME PRIVATE MAIL AS WELL. Anyone trying to write to you during the same time frame will probably have received the same errors for the same reason. The SCOUTS-L list is but one of the many people who may have tried to write to you while your mail system was malfunctioning.

DO NOT LET TECHNICAL PEOPLE CONVINCE YOU THAT THIS IS NORMAL. It is never normal for a mail system to claim that a valid, working account does not exist, just as it would not be normal for the post office to return some of your mail with "addressee unknown" when the address was written correctly. It is true that some mail systems are less reliable than others, and your technical people may be doing the best they can with the tools they have. But, ultimately, the level of service that you are receiving is the result of a business decision, and not something due to a universal technical limitation that one can only accept. Reliable mail systems do exist, and it is ultimately up to you to decide whether this level of service is acceptable or not.

While this appears to be peripheral to my Delivery Failure Reports, it is too much of a coincidence to ignore. Outgoing corporate mail is receiving Delivery Failures on certain addresses--most of which are known to be valid, then when I start accessing personal mail, I begin to generate delivery errors on what is obviously a valid address.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would be grateful.

Randy Davis

Systems Administrator
The Independent School
Wichita, KS

------------------------------------------------------
Additional information that might be useful:

I realize that this may be two unrelated issues, but I doubt it.

Information about SCOUTS-L and my personal mail: I continued receiving messages from the SCOUTS-L List, but apparently, 93 other messages were bounced back. The first bounce occurred the same day I started accessing my personal email through our corporate email server. No problems before this. I continue to receive other email, however I have never received a particular personal email from a sender who assures my he sent a message twice, but I never received it and he never received a delivery failure report.

Verify that you have an RDNS entry in public dns.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Marc--

Thanks for the information. I checked the rDNS entry and it appears to be set up correctly.

Any other thoughts?

Randy

Are you at MAILGW.TCU.EDU or is that where the mail is coming from? Looks like MAILGW.TCU.EDU is listed on a black list. If that is you then make sure your server is not an open relay and work to get yourself off the blacklist.

- The last reported error was: 5.0.0 550 [red]138.237.38.50 is listed at bl.spamcop.net[/red]

Regards,

Mark

Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

The Scouts-L list is hosted on TCU.edu, not me.

Randy Davis, MCP
Southwind Technology Solutions

OK, so sounds like your mail system is using SPAMCOP for black listing and is blocking their emails from getting to you.

I just checked and it looks like they got off of the list:

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back