Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDR reports filling up event viewer ID 3005

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakusan

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2007
GB
HI all,
I am getting the following error in my event viewer all the time, I have had a look at the various fixes, but am pretty sure I have configured exchange the way it states. Does anyone know what auses this and how to check that my config is all ok?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeTransport
Event Category: NDR
Event ID: 3005
Date: 12/09/2007
Time: 10:38:25
User: N/A
Computer: EMAILSERVER
Description:
A non-delivery report with a status code of 4.4.6 was generated for recipient address@domain (Message-ID <xxx).
Cause: The maximum hop count was exceeded for this message. This non-delivery report can also be caused if a looping condition exists between sending and receiving servers that are not in the same Exchange organization. In this situation, the message bounces back and forth until the hop count is exceeded. A configuration error in the e-mail system can also cause the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients.
Solution: The maximum hop count is a property set on each virtual server and you can manually override it. The default maximum hop count is 15. Also, check for any situations that might cause loops between servers.

Hi,

Yes I am, and have been since Exchange was set up. I did notice in the properties for the default SMTP virtual server under the messages tab in protocols that I had the smart host listed in the box marked: forward all mails with unresolved recipients to host:
Could this be the reason?

Should I change the outgoing to use DNS?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back