Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDR never received by the sender

Status
Not open for further replies.

freak12

MIS
Dec 6, 2001
US
Our NDR's are being forwarded to the Administrators mailbox, but are never received by the sender. I don't understand why these aren't being sent back to the sender.
Is there an exchange 5.5 setting to block non-delivery reports or is it my dns configuration with my ISP possible? How should my dns entries for my mail system be configured with my ISP??

Thanks

Open the properties for the Internet Mail Service, click the Internet Mail, click Advanced Options. You can change NDR settings there.

For SPAM reasons, you should DISABLE NDR's as well as any automatic reply to the internet, like Out of Office etc.

Some users may not like that, but security comes first, THAT is what matters. Besides, most admins disable the read requests etc. anyway.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

I checked my NDR settings like Griffyn suggested and the 3-disable box are not checked (out of office, automatic replies and sending display name), I will disable them.

The problem I'm having is you (an outside entity) sends me an e-mail but mistype my address. You don’t receive an NDR so you think the user got the message. The only NDR sent is to the admin mail account. Management wants it so that NDR get sent to the outside entities so that they know there message was not delivered.

If management wants that, fine, BUT make them VERY aware of the other consequenses, like spam, virus etc.

Those NDR's are one of the things used by those bad people, so you are better of checking the NDR mail (admin in your case) and manually reply.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

If I check the NDR settings so they are all disabled (out of office, automatic replies and sending display name). The outside entity doesn’t get an NDR at all if the send an e-mail to an deleted account or mistyped e-mail address. The same also happens if I uncheck all NDR settings so that they are enabled, the outside entity doesn’t get any NDR notices.

That is how it should be, no mail to the sender from NDR, but your Admin should get a copy of the undeliverable, and then you can manually reply, when needed. The rest, spam etc., you trash.

Marc
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back