Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDPS Printers based on Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

andriod998

Technical User
Oct 15, 2003
US
I'm having a problem with NDPS auto-installing printers based on workstation context. I'll give you the quick run down, if you need more detail let me know. I have a netware 6.5 server with sp4, zfd401 with ir7 installed. All workstations have client 491 sp2 and NDPS installed with the client. They all have the current zenagent for zfd401 ir7.

All of my workstations that are imported automatically by zen import are put into a "workstations" ou and from there I move them around into OU's based on which room they are at in the building. I created a workstation policy inside one of the room OU's that specifies the following iprint settings:

Policy Tab: Windows XP, I checked the Novell iPrint Policy. In the properties of the iPrint Policy I have the following set: Client Install tab, I left this blank because I have NDPS installed in the client.

Settings tab, I selected the printer I wanted to be installed and checked the force default. I left the Internet-accessible address for printing blank the first time I tested and it didn't work so i filled it in using the settings in the printer object in imanager. I clicked ok to save those settings.

In the "Run event" area I selected Event: User Login, I associated the policy package with the OU that contains the machines that I want to install the printers on.

When I login to one of the machines in the OU it does not create the printer. I deleted one of the workstation objects and had it auto re-create the object and then moved it back to the OU it's supposed to be in. Any ideas would be appreciated. I got 40+ printers and over 200 machines. The previous network admin went around and installed printers individually and I know that there is an easier way. Any help is appreciated. I'm going to go bury my nose in a book as well. Thanks!

I do it through NDPS instead of zen policies, assigning printers per user context. Works flawlessly.

Open NWAdmin, doubleclick the printer in question. Click the NDPS Remote Printer Management button, select the user container and whether you want it installed or uninstalled.

Actually it's even easier than that. Open NWAdmin, select Tools->NDPS Remote Printer Management. From there you can construct a list of printers for each context.

Thanks for the info, I tried that just now and it still does not work. I'm trying to assign printers based on context of the workstation object no matter what user logs into the machine.

It's important to understand the difference between 'NDPS' and 'IPRINT' functionality. Same backend, different delivery to workstations. They work completely different and independently of each other.

-NDPS is delivered via the Novell client component that is checked during the client install process.

-iPrint is an agent that is installed independent of the Novell client, and allows you to let users 'self-service' their printer installs, or you can use ZEN to push policies.

With NDPS, everything is based on the user associations. It won't do it based on workstations, because NDPS does not rely on ZENworks in any way, therefore doesn't use workstation objects. NDPS printers can be associated with Containers, Groups, or Users.

If using ZEN to assign iPrint policies, you're going to also need to get the IPrint agent to each workstation first. I couldn't tell from your post if you were already doing this. But you can configure the ZEN policy to deploy the agent as well. If the iPrint agent isn't getting to the workstations, this could be your problem.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

iprint management beta is on site

iprint gets ndps squirt functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back