Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ndiswrapper not recognising card

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwinsw

Technical User
Jan 8, 2005
GB
Hi,

I wonder if someone could help, I've posted this elsewhere but without much luck.

I'm trying to install a Netgear WG511T 802.11g wireless networking card under Suse Linux 10.1 using ndiswrapper 1.54. Im using the atheros_wpa_driver.exe, though Ive also tried it with the latest drivers from the Netgear website. I'm installing using the Gnome Terminal.

I get as far as installing using the -i switch and writing an alias with the -m switch and everything looks like its fine. But then I go to ifconfig wlan0 up and Im told that no such device can be found. Sure enough, if I run ifconfig it only shows the Ethernet and loopback adapters.

This is my first Linux install, so I'm scratching my head a bit. Can anyone give me any advice on what might be going wrong?

Thanks

Karl

The ndiswrapper module works by using the native Windows driver. It is a last resort in Linux.

I find some conflicting information that this will work with the ath5k drivers and/or the madwifi drivers in Linux. I would try both of those before resorting to ndiswrapper.

You do need to make sure that only ONE module is trying to interact with the NIC, or there will be problems. So make sure whichever driver you don't want (at the moment) is either removed or blacklisted. So do a little Internet research - and then pick ONE approach and try that. If it doesn't work, try an alternative. Then you can think about ndiswrapper.

If you need WPA, you will need to install a wpa_supplicant package using your appropriate package manager.

I don't know what atheros_wpa_driver.exe is, but sounds like a Windows app, not linux.

The best approach is to turn off security on the router until you can establish a basic connection and then work on the security issues.

You can run lspci (as root) to determine if the wireless NIC is being detected and what the kernel thinks it is.

lsmod will list the modules that are being loaded.

Wireless is not quite Plug-n-Play in Linux just yet, but you should be able to get it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back