Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NBU Incremental backing up nearly as many files as a Full backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintermw

MIS
Aug 21, 2002
US
I have a file server that a Full backup is performed on each weekend. It backs up about 90GB compressed in the Full schedule. When a Diff-incremental backup is done during the weekdays, it again backs up nearly 90GB of data. I have verified that archive bits had been cleared on some files before a backup on certain files. I then can verify by doing a restore from the next backup that the file was indeed backed up in an incremental schedule even though it had a cleared archive bit.

I have another file server in the exact same policy that does not exhibit this anomoly. Both servers' NBU clients have the same configuration as well. Under the Client Properties - Windows Client tab - Archive Bit section, the "Perform incrementals based on archive bit" box is checked. And, I have 300 sec. set to wait before clearing the archive bit.

I'm running NBU DC 4.5 on Win2K servers, btw.

Any clues on what is going on here? This is really killing my tape supply as you might guess.

Thanx,
Mark Painter
Sr. Systems Analyst

The issue is that more than likely something is flagging the archive bit on most of your files. If it were something in the policy and/or the schedule, all clients in said policy would be affected.

By deselecting "Perform incrementals based on archive bit", you should force the incr jobs to base themselves on time stamp.

Remember, this situation normally occurs due to the following:

-There is no FULL schedule in the policy.

*When there is no FULL schedule in the policy, there is nothing to reset the archive bits and make an ititial backup. This forces all INCR schedules in the policy to run as FULLs.

-There is a FULL schedule in the policy; however you try to run a INCR schedule first.

*Once again, nothing has reset the archive bits as no FULL has run. Consequently, NetBackup will back everything up.

-You may have a 3rd party app that is resetting your archive bits.

*I have heard of this in rare cases but do not recall what the apps were. My apologies on this; however now that you aware that this can be an issue, you can search down that avenue.

I hope this helps!

Also, check the knowledgebase at !

i have a FULL schedule but it is in a different class, does it matter?

My Full schedule is in the same policy as my incremental. Full's run every weekend. The Incremental runs Mon. - Thurs. The server backed up is also a media server (the master server does not have this problem) that controls one of my tape libraries.

I'm thinking this is not a Veritas issue though. The drive I'm having an issue with is a SAN drive. Just some directories are incorrectly backed up FULL. They happen to be my biggest directories though (user and group files). I can take some test files in those directories, with or without the archive bits set, and see that they all get backed up in an incremental schedule.

I have changed what to back up from ALL DRIVES to various streams. That didn't really change what was being backed up. I've tried a cumulative backup instead of an incremental. That didn't help either.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the application that controls the SAN configuration. I'll have to check with our SAN guy on that idea this week.

SENTMEMAIL

*YOU MUST HAVE A FULL SCHEDULE IN THE SAME POLICY!!!!

Because you do not, this is why your cumulative policy always runs as a FULL!

If you read a couple of posts back:

Remember, this situation normally occurs due to the following:

-There is no FULL schedule in the policy.

*When there is no FULL schedule in the policy, there is nothing to reset the archive bits and make an initial backup. This forces all INCR schedules in the policy to run as FULLs.

I suggest that you create a NEW policy with BOTH and a CUMULATIVE sched in it. Once you have done this, run a backup using the FULL sched, wait at least 15 minutes, then run a backup using the CUMULATIVE sched. It is very important that you wait at least 15 minutes in between a full and incr job in the same policy when testing, If you do not, every job that you run within 15 minutes will be a full. This is not a defect, this is by design. I do not recall the name of this setting (it is far too complicated to explain here anyhoo), however I know that this can happen.

i can't have the FULL backup in the same policy because i don't want to backup C drive during incremental backup schedule..
any help?

Well, whether you want to have one there or not, those are the rules friend. I promise you- if you do not have that FULL sched in the class, the INCR scheds, be they differential or cumulative, will always run as FULLs. Period.

What you need to do is to set up an exclusion based on your needs. First, go to the properties of the client involved. (If you go to the properties of all clients, this will make exclusions apply to all clients- which is not what I think that you are looking for on this one) Once there, go to the "Exclude" tab.

In the Exclude tab, you will have two drop down menus, POLICY and SCHEDULE. If you type in your information into these fields, you will force whatever you place in the exclusions list on this client apply only to the policy and sched that you specified.

*(Read more on exclusions in the System Admin Guide.

By doing this you will have the ability to have a policy with one flie list, that is backed up differently for each of the policy's schedules.

if i copy the FULL backup schedule to the current incremental backup schdule (in the same class), what will happen??
will it run incremental or will it run full backup??

That will more than likely not work. As I stated before, the first schedule that must be run in a policy is a FULL. Once again, it is in your best interest to recreate the policy.

Am I misunderstanding?

i have created a new class and created FULL backup schedule and an incremental schedule that can run everyday.
can i say that tonight it will run the FULL backup and tomorrow it will run incremental?

Well, that all depends on what the windows are on the schedule. But, yes, you should be fine.

another problem i faced is when i tried to restore some data from tape i recieved this error message:(file list unavailable).
the correct tape is loaded but the restoration does not run... any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back