Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NBU 4.5 does not show clients to back up manually

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctheobald

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2003
US
The GUI for my NetBackup 4.5 MP 5 installation (on Solaris 8) does not permit me to select clients to backup. Under "Backup, Archive, and Restore" I select the Backup Files tab. The Specify NetBackup Machines dialog appears, but the Source client/Policy type and Destination client tabs are grayed out and unselectable. I believe this used to work some time ago, but at some point it ceased to function. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sound's like you don't have full access permissions to Netbackup. If all you can see is the Backup,Archive, and Restore console you need to get permissions to view the
Netbackup Management console and the
Media and Device Management console

Your Solaris admin should be able to set your permissions for what you can and can't use in Netbackup.

Hope this helps

Ryan

It could also be syntax or options in the auth.conf file

Thank you for the feedback. I log onto NBU as root, so have permissions to see everything. My /opt/openv/java/auth.conf file looks like:

root ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL
* ADMIN=JBP JBP=ENDUSER+BU+ARC

which I interpret to mean that root can see everything. Moreover, I do have clients defined in Netbackup Management - Host Properties - Clients, and they are backed up by my policy-based backups nightly.

Seems like something is slightly corrupted somewhere...

Chuck

Under "Backup, Archive, and Restore" I select the Backup Files tab. The Specify NetBackup Machines dialog appears, but the Source client/Policy type and Destination client tabs are grayed out and unselectable.

The tabs you are trying to access are for restores. Why would you try to access a destination?

Are you using Citrix ?

When I log into Netbackup through our Citrix server, I am unable to gain access to those tabs, as they are greyed out.

Are you logging in using the windows admin console or are you kicking off jnbSA ??

Just curious.....

In response to the latest posts:

The Destination tab is used to select the client to which you wish to restore the files, you do not have to restore files to the same machine from which they came.

I am using Solaris 8 for the NBU server machine, and Solaris 9 (sparc) or Solaris 10 (x86) for the X server to access jnbSA. On neither X server can I select the Source client/Policy type or Destination tabs.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the post, but if you want to backup clients manually, right click on the policy, select the client and the schedule and let her rip.

My aim is to be able to do ad hoc backups without setting up a specific policy. From a client, a user can pick and choose which files to back up irrespective of any policy, so if the server policy is set to back up c:\Documents and Settings, the user can choose to back up specific files in, say, c:\temp. My thought is that this should work from the server as well. In the past, this was so. At some point, this functionality became no longer available. Put another way, why have tabs for "Source client/Policy type" and "Destination client" (from jnbSA GUI interface, select "Backup, Archive, and Restore", then the "Backup Files" tab, then the Action menu, then "Specify NetBackup Machines") when they are always greyed out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back