Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NB6 can't backup NDMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

msleeper

MIS
Jan 29, 2003
US
According to the NB6 NDMP PDF (lots of acronyms there eh!), I need to install some software on the master server, but I can't find the CD they require. I asked the vendor who gave us the temporary NDMP license and he said that NB6 now comes with the NDMP software installed, you just need the key to unlock it. Is this right?

I can't get the darned thing to back up and I'm hoping that it's because I don't have the software installed. I found the NB6-mp4 update for NDMP and installed it successfully. I have a public share on our netapp that can be mounted via NFS with no problem. I have successfully added the filer under Devices>NDMP Hosts, and can probe it with: tpautoconf -probe. I'm trying to get the netapp to back up via remote NDMP, which, as far as I can tell, just makes it look like a client to NB6. I've created an NDMP policy, added the netapp as type NDMP, and added the netapp share to the backup selection. When I do a manual backup I get a 99 error (NDMP backup failure) with the following description:

05/24/2007 03:47:28 - begin writing
05/24/2007 03:48:43 - Error ndmpagent (pid=3450) ndmp_data_connect_v3 failed, status = 23 (NDMP_CONNECT_ERR)
05/24/2007 03:48:44 - Error ndmpagent (pid=3450) NDMP backup failed, path = /vol/test_d
05/24/2007 03:48:52 - end writing; write time: 0:01:24

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
I'm new to NDMP so if forgotten anything
Thanks!

Make sure that you have the right case on the /vol/?

I had the same problem until i made sure that if the volume says

/vol/Home_Drives

that the netbackup says the same thing.

Also if your using a netapp filer. then you will have to check on your snapshot sizing as well it could be that it is not functioning properly or that you have a small snapshot windows and no drive space availible.

Thanks dgallegos,
But I've already checked both of those things.

Oddly enough, a call to the NetApp tech support line reveals that they are still testing against NB 4.5 and don't have NB 6 installed yet.

Sheesh!

you need to have an ndmp username and password to make the connection. Find out what ndmp username and password on the ndmp appliance is and then config it with the set_ndmp_attr.exe (check the switches, ie. -verify)command under the \volmgr\bin dir in netbackup

Fixed it!

I had to escalate the severity with Veritas, but once that happened it was fixed in a day!

It turns out that if you have several network interfaces you need to specify which one you want NDMP to use in a file called:
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/ndmp.cfg

In this file you put either the IP or the DNS name of the preferred interface:
NDMP_DATA_CONNECTION_HOST_NAME=<system name or IP>

Hope this helps anyone else who has this problem,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back