Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NB 6.5.3 Fiber Transport Media Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallows

Technical User
Jun 12, 2004
US
Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up a Fiber Transport Media Server to perform backups from our SAN. I just read that one of the requirements is for a special Sun badged (Qlogic) HBA.

By accident I ran across some documentation that said to put the HBA card in a 133MHz PCI slot. Well, none of our Sun V240s has a 133mhz. All are 33mhz & 66mhz.

I do have a V245 that has one 133mhz slot. So my question is, does anyone have any experience in this area? By that I mean will this configuration even work? The reason I am asking is that I have to ask the customer to pay for the HBA card for the server. All of the other clients have the HBAs in the 33mhz slot. I didn't want to purchase it and end up looking like an idiot if it won't even work.

I tried Veritas support and they told me I must have some "old servers" and they didn't know for sure if it would work. And they did not recommend running it on 33/66mhz.

Any suggestions/help is appreciated!!

we run quite a few fibre transport media servers here, and they all have the qlogic card installed. at the time it was the only hba that would work in target mode, which is what is needed for this to work

Cheers
richs24

[yoda]

Thanks rich24. Are any of them running on a 280R 0r 245 and do they have the 33/mhz slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back