Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Navigation buttons show "can't go to specified record"

Status
Not open for further replies.

grgimpy

Programmer
Nov 1, 2006
US
I have a form with some navigation buttons I made using the Access wizard. When I open the form, it opens on a new record, but I am able to use the "Previous Record" button to go the most recently entered record. When the form is opened separately, the button works fine. When the form is opened as a subform in my main form, I get the error message "you can't go to the specified record." Once I add a new record, the button will work.

The weird thing is that my main form contains many tabs that all have separate subforms which use the same navigation button codes. Some of the subforms work correctly and some do not. I've looked at the settings for each form and they seem to be in order. Any ideas as to why this is happening would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I think in subforms which you have problem is because the Link records between Main form and this subform is limited, so you want to see other record but there is no any match records..

is it true?

ali

i enabled the navigation buttons in properties to see if i could see anything wrong and something weird is happening in my form. when i move between records in my main form, it is moving the records in the subforms that are not working correctly. somehow the records have become linked between the main form and subforms.

when i open my main form which contains the sub forms on different tabs, the subforms only open on a new record. When i go back at least one record in my main form, a few more records become available in my subforms for me to navigate between. if anyone has encountered a similar problem, please let me know any ideas you have about fixing it.

Thanks

well, my subforms were linked to my main form for some reason. not being an access or vba expert and trying to fix and improve someone else's bad database doesn't mix well, but i'm learning. i ended up just deleting the subform and re-inserting it and picking the linked forms as "none."

just for my own information, is there a way to change how the subforms are linked w/o re-creating them? i looked around in properties and found nothing. anyways, if anyone knows, i'd appreciate it.

thanks

Hi,

There may be more than one way, but this is how I do it:

1. Highlight your subreport or subform control.

2.Open the Properties box.

Click on the "Data" tab.

3. Change the settings in the Link Child Fields and Link Master Fields properties.

Regards,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back