Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Navigation Bar "Down Image" problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixrfan

Technical User
Oct 10, 2008
US
I'm using the Navigation Bar tool in Dreamweaver, and I've inputted the "Up image", "Over image", and "Down image". But for whatever reason, the down state is not being applied. When I click on that specific page, it reverts back to the "Up image". Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

and if it makes a difference, i'm using DW MX 2004.

MX 2004 makes no difference.
Part of what you're seeing is a perception problem.

That is, once you click on the services button on the home page, you immediately go to the services page - it is no longer the same button - it's a similar button on a different page.

There are several things you can do.

Ignore it.

Make down the default appearance for the services button (while on the services page), and apply that appearance to each of the other buttons while on their respective pages. (Usually I disable the button while on its own page, but you need not do that.) (You could also have the hover state be the opposite for the current page, but first things first).

There are other ways, too.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

then it sounds like the navigation bar tool is NOT working the way it should. yes? no?

and correct me if i'm misinterpreting, but to do what you suggest, I would have to take the navigation bar section out of my template and make it part of the editable region of each page. then create a customized navigation bar for each page???

thanks!

I believe that it likely is working the way it should. (Or at least the way you've told it to).

And, yes, you would have to make a customized nav bar for each page to do it the other way, but that is not that complicated.

That being said, I haven't used Dreamweaver/Fireworks buttons for some years. I typically use lists styled with css for navigation, avoiding loading of all those graphics files (small as they are) and avoiding JavaScript in this instance.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

from a css standpoint try and make your navigation using text wherever possible. plus it helps load the site faster and even the blind know what you are doing (if you arent using your alt tag responsibly)

Darryn Cooke
| The New Orange County Graphic designer and Marketing and Advertising Consultant
| Marketing and Advertising blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back