Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Navigating between HTML and Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

protector

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
NZ
Hi all,

Hope someone can help. A web site I have taken over supporting has links that I am having problems with.
From the home page a link opens an excel spreadsheet in the browser, (current code: <a href='file location'>)
From the spreadsheet another link then opens another webpage.
The new webpage has a link that should go back to the excel spreadsheet but it brings up an error message saying the spreadsheet is currently being edited by me and it will not open.
Is there a way to go back to the spreadsheet without getting the error message.

Hope someone can help.

Rather than a link back to the spreadsheet you need to just close the window. The link you currently have is trying to refresh the window, which means re-writing the spreadsheet, which in turn is trying to open the file that is already open.

Use a link like this to close the new window: <a ref=&quot;javascript:window.close()&quot;>Close Window</a>[/]. This will close the current window and display the spreadsheet again without problems. There's always a better way...

Thanks tviman, code works great, appreciate the help

CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back