Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAV 7.6 and XP SP2 cannot connect to client

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifconf

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2004
GB
Hi, I have Norton Antivirus 7.6 corporate edition on all my workstations, my workstations are all Windows XP Professional. After rolling out XP SP2 on some test workstations I have found that I cannot connect to the clients through the symantec system centre. If I restart the Norton Antivirus service on the affected workstation I can connect, check logs, run scans etc. If I try to connect again a short time later then the same problem occurs. Has anyone have any ideas?

I'm guessing you're running into trouble with XP's built in firewall. In the Firewall dialog, go to "exceptions" and add Symantec Antivirus to the list. See if that doesn't fix the problem.

In my office, we have 8.1 clients connecting to internal servers. I use a .reg file to make sure the firewall is enabled and the right ports are open:

---begin file---

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile]
"EnableFirewall"=dword:00000001
"DoNotAllowExceptions"=dword:00000000
"DisableNotifications"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\AuthorizedApplications]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"C:\\Program Files\\Symantec AntiVirus\\Rtvscan.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Symantec AntiVirus\\Rtvscan.exe:*:Enabled:Symantec RTVScan"
"C:\\Program Files\\Symantec\\LiveUpdate\\LuComServer.EXE"="C:\\Program Files\\Symantec\\LiveUpdate\\LuComServer.EXE:*:Enabled:Symantec LiveUpdate"
"C:\\Program Files\\Symantec_Client_Security\\Symantec AntiVirus\\Rtvscan.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Symantec_Client_Security\\Symantec AntiVirus\\Rtvscan.exe:*:Enabled:Symantec RTVScan v.2"
"C:\\Program Files\\Symantec\\LiveUpdate\\LuComServer_2_5.EXE"="C:\\Program Files\\Symantec\\LiveUpdate\\LuComServer_2_5.EXE:*:Enabled:Symantec LiveUpdate v.2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\GloballyOpenPorts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]
"2967:UDP"="2967:UDP:*:Enabled:Symantec AntiVirus"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"C:\\Program Files\\Symantec AntiVirus\\Rtvscan.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Symantec AntiVirus\\Rtvscan.exe:*:Enabled:Symantec RTVScan"
"C:\\Program Files\\Symantec\\LiveUpdate\\LuComServer.EXE"="C:\\Program Files\\Symantec\\LiveUpdate\\LuComServer.EXE:*:Enabled:Symantec LiveUpdate"
"C:\\Program Files\\Symantec_Client_Security\\Symantec AntiVirus\\Rtvscan.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Symantec_Client_Security\\Symantec AntiVirus\\Rtvscan.exe:*:Enabled:Symantec RTVScan v.2"
"C:\\Program Files\\Symantec\\LiveUpdate\\LuComServer_2_5.EXE"="C:\\Program Files\\Symantec\\LiveUpdate\\LuComServer_2_5.EXE:*:Enabled:Symantec LiveUpdate v.2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]
"2967:UDP"="2967:UDP:*:Enabled:Symantec AntiVirus"

---end file---

hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back