Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAV 2003 prompts W98 to dial Internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraeg

Programmer
Jun 27, 2002
AU
On a Windows 98, at startup Norton's Anti-Virus (part of System Works 2003) causes the dialup internet connection dialog box to appear. This must be cancelled 4 times.
Then bringing NAV up via the System Tray icon prompts it another 2 times.
Live update is disabled; is there a part of NAV that wants/needs to connect? Can this be stopped?

i have noticed this on win98 pc's that have internet explorer 6 service pack 1. i havent figure out how to stop it but i think it may be to do event manager. i use zone alarm and when the dialup box comes up i have tried connecting and zone alarm suddenly pops up do i want event manager to connect to internet. the connect to box also appears when shutting down the pc.

I was getting this same thing. After much hair loss and finally wording my search correctly on symantec, I came up with info on this issue. The symantec link is Selecting "never dial a connection" eliminated the dialup window from popping up. It's a work-around anyway.

I've had the same problem with NIS 2004 and windows 98SE. Only, nothing will close the Dial-up Connection window, including Alt-Ctr-Del. I tinkered with my startup file and also with the "never dial" settings which have since been reset to "always". Norton seems to do lots of that. Removing the "settings.liveupdate" files has been the most successful thing so far, but it has to be repeated frequently (daily or more often).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back