Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Native vs. Mixed mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormfront26

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
Hey all,

I'm a network admin researching some ways to migrate my organization form Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2003 Active Directory. I've been reading a lot and had a quick question. Can I still have member servers that run NT 4.0 or another OS and run the upgraded network in native mode or do I need to run in mixed mode? I was under the impression that as long as no NT 4.0 BDCs were left on the network I could run in native mode? I can't get rid of a lot of the servers since some are still necessary but the DCs would all run W2K3 with AD. So am I good to run in native or do I stay with mixed just to be safe? Thanks for your help!

You have to stay in mixed mode if you want to maintain you NT 4.0 BDCs. However, if you want to get rid of all NT 4 BDCs, you can purchase a utility called UPromote from that I have used several times...works like a champ! Basically, you install the utility on your NT4 BDCs, run it and it will demote the server to a member server and reboot. Very cheap...$99 for a single server or $239 for unlimited. Highly recomended. Once you demote all of your NT4 BDCs, you can then switch to Native Mode. This is of course once you have upgraded your network to Active Directory in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back