Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAT/VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

montee

Technical User
Aug 11, 2005
IE
Hello every body,does anybody know anything about NAT(network address translation) i am using NAT to enable me use a web cam on my lan but since then i have not been able to recieve VOIP calls from my area offices.I can call the offices but they cannot reach the Head office,Can anybody help.
Basic firewall is not enabled
iprouterenable is enabled in registry
i have searched threads on this topic and some reference have been made about DMZ(de-militarised zone) and port forwarding as a way to work around this,does anybody know how i can implement this or whether it will work.
Tnx in advance

The inbound part of VOIP uses high port UDP inbound and is very dynamic. This won't work with NAT.

You COULD put a H.323 proxy in a DMZ, and use it to do the inbound connections. I believe there is a Linux H.323 proxy as well as several commercial ones.

Take this with a grain of salt. I know networking but not VOIP.

gene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back