Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAT Statement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

secureinc

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
US
I have a Cisco 1605 that is going to handle my network Internet connection. The s0 ip address is 4.25.163.x. The e0 ip address is 192.168.10.2. I do not have any type of firewall to do the nat. So, what would the proper nat statement be to allow my client pcs to access the Internet?

Ok,

To setup nat you need an outside and an inside interface. Youe S0 will be the outside and so you need to add the following command to the S0 interface:
"ip nat outside"
then in the E0 interface add the command:
"ip nat inside"

Once those commands are added you need to create an access-list of IP's to NAT. You need to add this in global config mode. Just for simplicity we will use this:
"access-list 1 permit any"

Then you need to add the config line that enables PAT(port address translation). That is what "NAT"'s your private IP's (192.168.10.x) to your public IP on S0 (4.25.163.x). Tod do this you need to be in global config mode and add the line:
"ip nat inside source list 1 interface S0 overload"

Once you've added that it will NAT any IP from E0 to the IP of S0. And you should be done. The only other issue is how you are going ot hand out the private IP's? Through DHCP, or statically? If they are statically assigned then that should be all the config for the router.

Let me know if this helps.....

Burke

i would suppose that even with DHCP u can still configure a standard access list...

the DHCP server would basically assign the 192.168.10.1-254/24 to your network, excluding 192.168.10.2 for your router

u can use an ACL with wildcards to perform this..

good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back