Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAT, PAT or WHAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tektonik

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2002
GB
Hi,
Having just upgraded our small LAN with a HP4108gl switch to a SMC Tigercard 1000-SX NIC on the server, Groupwise fails to run over IP on port 1677.

I can ping the card on the server and the switch, but the IP seems to stop there. The bindings all look ok and are similar to the previous working setup (3com NIC on the server to just a hub).

All settings for speed and duplex are equal between the card and the switch, and if I revert to the old card and hub all works fine??

Can anyone help please?????

tektonic

It sounds like you did two things: 1) new switch, and 2) new NIC in the server. My philosophy is only introduce one change at a time. Hopefully this will give you a clue as to what change is producing the problem (unless it’s the combination of changes that produces the problem).

Profound...but true, I have worked around this now and the fault appears to be with the card. When the switch runs through the 3com card IP works ok.

I can ping the NIC from both the server and the switch but IP will not pass through the card (IPX is ok), and TCP/IP is bount to the NIC.

Where should I look now?

tektonic

What version of NetWare are you running on the server... v5.1??? If you are running v5.1, you have to apply AT LEAST NW51SP3 for that NIC to work.

We went through this also... once we applied the Support pack, everything worked fine!

Good Luck!

Thanks for that, sound like it should work, we will try this coming weekend and let you know....

Thank for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back