Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAT OR ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNIX72

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2000
US
How do you setup nat correctly. Right now my router provides nat transalation. I want my 2000server to do the job. I want to use a 192.68.0.0 network. What is the difference between internet sharing an NAT. I know what nat does, but do i need to enable internet sharing to, thanks

You do not need ICS to use NAT. To configure NAT, simply set the IP address(es) for the external network(internet) on the external NIC. For the internal network, set the internal NIC to 192.168.0.1. Use an appropriate subnet.

Just my 2 cents worth - 2000 server does not support the ICS feature. If you try to enable it, the machine will tell you to configure NAT for Internet Sharing...
>:):O> anongod@hotmail.com

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

My five cents beats your two cents. Well maybe, 2000 Advanced Server says nothing about NAT installation when using ICS. U just simply set the outside interface to provide sharing and you are good to go. Try it, then look at the rras settings. There should be no entry for NAT unless you previously installed it.

Whoops, my bad. I have Active Directory installed on 2000 adv svr as domain controller. That's what kicks ICS out I guess.
Nice catch.
>:):O>
anongod@hotmail.com

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

ICS blows me, And yes AnonGod your cents are in american dollar while beemie is in russian rubles. If you have a "cheap" "Generic" and "way underconfigured" connection setup with ICS under 2000 (keyword) "SERVER/ADVANCED SERVER/DATACENTER" then ICS i guess could work. But when it is setup as a domain controller AKA active directory, your computer all of a sudden becomes a (say it with me) "SERVER" and not just an expensive 2000 professional with a few wingdings. Realize all you out there that think ICS is amazing and spectacular, it is just an easy cheap quick way to setup some type of network router, If you have anything installed to make your computer work ICS conflicts with things like DHCP little things in your DNS configuration and many other things, look it up under microsoft if you want too see for yourselves. ICS WAS NEVER INTENDED TO WORK WITH RRAS AND ACTIVE DIRECTOPY, it was desinged to work with "workstations". Basically it comes to this, you don't know how to do it the real way, so you use the microsoft wizard wonderland to have "Internet" for "computers in my house"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back