Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAT issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinDFleX2K

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2000
GB
Just wondering if anyone can help.

My set up is as follows:

SPeedtouch Modem
Linksys router (wireless)
Server (apache)

Now all 3 are on diffrent subnets (10 Modem) (192 Router) (192 Server) respectivly

My ISP has given me 5 IP numbers to use to host my hardware on (visible via the net)

QUestion is .. How? All I want is the server (running webserver) to be visible to internet traffic. I have tried setting up NAT on the modem --- 217 ->-> 192 but then how do I get the server visible? and if I stick one of the 217 addresses on the server how do I get it through the router (192 network)!!

I am going mad!!

I will be the first to admit I dont know cack all much about NAT/port forwading but i am reading up on it but at the moment i am pulling my hair out! hahaha

Hope sonmeone can help

Thx

You need to configure static NAT on your router/modem that associates one of the 217. addresses with the 192. address that is used for your server. Just guessing, but you will probably want to configure the following:

217.1.1.1 tcp/80 --> 192.1.1.1 port 80 (Web traffic)
217.1.1.1 tcp/25 --> 192.1.1.1 port 25 (SMTP)
217.1.1.1 tcp/110 --> 192.1.1.1 port 110 (POP)

Where 217.1.1.1 is your internet accessible address and 192.1.1.1 is the address of your server. On many routers this is called port forwarding rather than static NAT. You don't want to forward all ports, just the ones that you intend to use.
pansophic

Hey Mind,

Let me try and understand your setup. Does it look like this?

internet--(217.x.x.x)--modem--(10.x.x.x)--router--(192.168.x.x)

If that's true, then the problem is that 10 subnet in the middle. In order to get the server visible, you have to double NAT. Once on the linksys, and once on the modem. So, it'll look something like:

217.1.1.1 (server public IP) -->
10.1.1.1 (what server looks like on 10 subnet) -->
192.168.1.1 (internal server IP)

Does that make sense to you?

-Flo

P.S. I wasn't aware that speedtouch modems can do NAT...

BTW Are you sure that the 5 IP addresses given to you by your ISP
does not include default gateway(s) and DNS server(s)?

If your setup is as described by flojr13, then you could just enter a static route in the modem for the 192 network, with the 10. address of the router as the gateway. There is no requirement to do NAT again. Of course, if you cannot enter any routing information in the modem, then you will have to NAT 2 times.
pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back