Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nasty Deeds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonty

MIS
Mar 16, 1999
US
I was wondering what nasty deeds can a user do to your pc (windows 98 based) if that user knows what your IP address is? I am aware that even though one doesn't accept cookies that a site still has access to one's IP address. Also, how does a site get access to one's IP address?

I suppose this question woulld be more apt under the 'Video over IP' or 'Voice over IP' forums.

Actually a website can get your &quot;IP&quot; (meaning Internet Protocol Address) simply through connection logging. This address is how you can find things on the internet and how things can find you....<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> = is really an IP address that has a name associated witrh it. Cookies are totally seperate in that a cookie is code that is put onto your hard drive to track you and do various things. Cookies can do many different things (just depends on how they are coded). Voice over IP etc really has nothing to do with this. Your asking &quot;can someone do bad things to me if they know my IP address, even if I have cookies disabled&quot;....the answer is absolutely positively, yes. Can a website put cookies on your machine if cookies have been disabled ...no. Persons who know your IP address can engage in all forms of Denial Of Service (DOS) attacks and yes can &quot;hack (crack)&quot; into your computer. There is a great protection program (firewall) you can run to prevent this at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> You can learn alot from that web page and I'd advise you to spend 40.00 and buy their product.&nbsp;&nbsp;

If you connect to a site you can view its IP address by viewing your ARP table by typing ARP -A ata command prompt.

Getting your ip address is the first step in an attack against you if that is what your worried about.&nbsp;&nbsp;The thing that i would check securty wise would be to see if you have Windows Sharing enabled,this is a microsoft provided functionality that allows you to share drives between computers.&nbsp;&nbsp;To check to see if you have it enabled go to Network in the control panel and there should be a button called file and print sharing click and that and make sure that the tab for file sharing is not clicked.&nbsp;&nbsp;Other attacks against a win95 machine include simple packet bombing to port139 etc..&nbsp;&nbsp;That can be blocked with a simple firewall software.&nbsp;&nbsp;In your original question when you go on the internet you are given an ip address to communicate with other machines from your ISP.&nbsp;&nbsp;When you go to any site on the internet such as <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> the aol server needs to see your ip address and your computer needs to see <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> ip address in order for it to send those web pages to you.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is very little risk of any type of attack just &quot;surfing the internet&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;Even if somebody, like me :), finds your ip address through a cookie or a webpage i set up.&nbsp;&nbsp;there is very little you can do unless you leave gapping holes in your defense, like sharing your entire hard drive.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would be much more concerned about virsuses that you can get from a simple word document from work etc..<br><br>hope this helps, if you need more advice their are some good security books out there, not any of the dummy ones but the ones that show you how to recover from a &quot;disaster&quot; and how to prevent it.&nbsp;&nbsp;I can't think of any offhand but their are tons at the library.<br><br> <p>moses<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back