Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAS redundancy, cluster vs. d2d2t

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseptor1

Technical User
May 26, 2005
US
I am working on a project I would like to get some feedback from others on. (hopefully to validate my reasoning!)

I have 2 identical NAS devices as well as the HP iSCSI feature pack. I need to balance performance, redundancy, and backup. Tape libraries are handling all the backup.

My question is what are your thoughts on the best setup of the 2 NAS devices and tape? I initially considered clustering the NAS devices, and backing up from one or the other to tape, but think I'll be happier having NAS1 live, NAS2 as a disk based backup, and the tape backing up NAS2. Am I correct in assuming this will provide better performance (to the users) than clustering?

Secondly, with the iSCSI feature pack for these HP NAS's, has anyone tried doing disk to disk backup using Volume Shadow Copies? I would like to have NAS1 complete backups to NAS2 using VSS, but would like to get some of your thoughts on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back