Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAS persistent mappings

Status
Not open for further replies.

isom67

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
CA
Although I have a very good understanding of how NAS/SAN environments work I've been trying to figure out how best to approach this problem.

What I'm trying to do is figure out how to make a server (windows 2k) map a drive letter to a NAS appliance share(not yet configured but will probably be a Windows Storage Server NAS). I understand that I can do persistent mappings during user login or that I can use the AUTOEXEC.BAT capability of windows 2k, but is there a better way of doing it? Third party app (ie NAS client etc) or windows feature/service I'm not aware of.

In effect what I want is a network drive to be available to application services on or shortly after bootup but without requiring a user logon.

Having the network map appear as a logical local volume on user login would be a bonus.

All suggestions welcome.
Brian.

Your application will need to address the device using UNC paths ie: \\servername\sharename. In this way, the NAS device will be available. There is no way to have a machine see a remote drive as a drive letter until a user login has occured. You will also need to make sure that the system account can use the remote drives. If you use a Windows based NAS device, this should not be a problem so long as both machines belong to the same Domain.

Eric

Eric,

Yeah, I knew about the UNC method but was hoping that there was possibly a way of doing it as a network map before login. NetApps have a nice piece of software that installs on client systems as a Virtual Disk Driver allowing the remote NAS volume to be seen and managed via LDM. I was hoping that there was an equivalent non-proprietary tool that could be used.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back