Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAS permissions from Windows 7 Professional Q???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
I have a NAS on my network that is defined as a CIFS drive letter on my Windows 7 Pro desktop.

In one folder on the NAS I have stored over 100 pdf documents. I've now created sub-folders in that directory named according to category. I am now attempting to move certain pdf files into their respective category folders to help organize access.

The method I'm trying is using Windows Explorer to view the pdf folder on the NAS (mounted as a drive letter) and I then highlight a file, do a right click, then left click on cut, then right click on the respective category folder and left click on paste. AFAIK this is the normal method. I am getting a "permissions required" message and nothings moving.

In an attempt to resolve this I've tried the following:

Again in Windows Explorer I've right clicked on the destination folder and selected "permissions" then security then attempted to select "full access" to which I've still receiving the permissions required message.
OK - so then I entered my Linux CLI and navigated to the mounted NAS drive and changed into the pdf folder. Then I issued the following command "sudo chmod -R 777 *" which uses root permissions to change the permissions to rwxrwxrwx for all files and subdirectories and files. That too stops with permissions required.
When I look at the directory/file permissions they are all showing as rw-rw-rw- (666) and the owner is my username which is the user I'm using.

Thinking that this should be easy as cake, can anyone suggest how I might overcome this issue?

Thanks

Code:
chown nobody users *

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Well thanks Chris, However, what I was doing as you were answering this (after more research) was using the Windows Explorer and right clicking on each target folder then left clicking on properties followed by left clicking the Security tab then the Everyone user and finally edit so I could check "Full Control" which auto populated all the permissions boxes. A quick OK/OK and THEN only could I save to the folder.

I like your idea better and I will try that when I next run into a folder with this permissions message. Thank you again and hopefully someone else with this situation will read this and be helped.

B [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back