Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAS devices and backupexec 8.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

afouldsy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2003
GB
I have an ATL P1000 NAS Tape Library - how do I get Backup exec 8.6 to pick up the network device!?

I have the tape library option for 8.6.

What do you mean by "pick up the network device"? Do you mean the tape library? Or are you talking about a server on the network?

-SQLBill

The tape library has a PRISM router card which enables you to connect it to a fibre or ethernet network instead of using a direct SCSI cable between host and storeage device.

How do I configure backup exec 8.6 (with tape library licence) to use this device? The library iteself comes with very little helpful documentation past the point of setting it up on the network and veritas support is permanently down!

Any ideas?

I'm not going to be able to help much, we connect our backup server to the tape library via SCSI. You say Veritas support is down, but have you gone to their website and looked through the documentation for 8.6?

-SQLBill

It was the knowledge base I was trying to get to but everytime I got to support.veritas.com it fails..

I paged through my documentation on 8.6 and everywhere I look; it refers to SCSI. In fact, one part says:

quote: Refer to the Windows NT/2000 Hardware Compatability list for a complete list of supported SCSI controllers. unquote (bolding mine for emphasis)

-SQLBill

Sounds like you have a SAN or SAN-like setup. That NAS tape library can connect to fiber. If you buy/install the SSO (Shared Storage Option), you can then use BE to backup to a device via fiber.

Good Luck!

Qdog,

Yes, I have a SANS. I didn't mention that because I went through all of Veritas' documentation including all the options and I only found references to SCSI. I'll admit, it looks like I missed something, but I did read through the SSO documentation.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back