Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAS: Dell PowerVault 745N

Status
Not open for further replies.

disintegration

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2005
Hi, I'm curious what the thoughts are around here about this filer. It seems pretty solid and definitely competes favorably in terms of cost.

We're a 35 person company, with hopes to expand to 50 in the next year or two.. and 200 in the next 5-6.

Anyhow, does anybody have any experience with these in a similar environment?

-----
Space travel's in my blood.

The 745N is Windows Powered NAS. It's running windows storage server 2003. There should be no compatability issues in a windows environment.

I'm comfortable in terms of compatability. I worry about performance mostly. As a comparison, the users work from a RAID5 scsi u320 in the DC right now... just curious if they'd notice a big degradation in reads/writes with the 745N.

-----
Space travel's in my blood.

Please note Users should never be working on a DC in terms of app or fileserver needs. DC should only be used for its specific tasks, ie DNS, DHCP, active directory and the other norms. Eventually once your org grows this will be the first thing to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back