Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAS data retrieval

Status
Not open for further replies.

aich69

Technical User
Apr 23, 2004
GB
I have a Network Attached Storage HD, the network card (built in) has given up the ghost and I need to retrieve the data. the data has been written via Windows XP machine.

I have removed the drive from the case and connected it via USB to IDE cable to a PC.... in computer management I see the drive with it's 3 partitions but cannot get to them, they have no drive letter assigned and I can't assign one.

Has anyone ever been in this position and got to the data?
If so then I'd love to know how it was done. I'm looking at it via a Windows based PC but have access to Linux & MAC if that might help?

Cpt. Red Bull

Chances are your NAS had some flavor of Linux controlling things, you may have already damaged it by plugging it into a Windows system...let's look on the bright side and say not.

Download a live Linux distro such as puppy Linux or Knoppix, then boot from the CD to launch linux, see if the partitions are visible. Since the drive is already plugged in to a Windows machine might as well leave it, just know that the more you try doing Windows things (like assigning drive letters) to that HDD the greater your chances of permanent loss.

Which make/model was the NAS?

First thing I would do would be to clone the drive using Ghost 2003 or Acronis, and then work on the clone.

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

Did wonder if i might be doing the wrong thing attaching to a Windows machine.

It's a Buffalo NAS. Will download a live Linux today and try it this evening when i get back from the office.

I've had a play with Linux but am no expert. Any pointers on where to go once I'm up and running?

Thanks in advance. will try not to make this into a saga.

H

Cpt. Red Bull

Get your Linux up and running and try this
You should be able to mount the NTFS partitions from the disk. Its a great program - I've been using it for months.

------------------------------------------
Somethings come from nothing, nothing seems to come from somethings - SFA - Guerilla

roycrom :)

cheers roycrom.... will give it a go, I need to get stuck into Linux so it will give me an excuse to get on with it.

However have managed to get all data off NAS now using a Windows based app that reads the Linux structure of the NAS disk... checkout they have two very good Linux Read and Recover apps amongst others.

Cpt. Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back