Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAS application server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sureman

Programmer
Jan 11, 2007
US
We have recently purchased a CX300 from EMC. In order to share files through fiber, EMC recommended a NAS front end. As I understand it, to retrieve files, we will map to the NAS server (i.e. \\NASServer\data). Unfortuately a requirement of our main application is that the share be located on the application server (i.e. \\AppServer\data). Is there any setup that will allow the NAS and application server to be on the same box or does anyone have any other solution? We are in a Windows environment. Thanks.

Do you only need to be able to access these files from the app server, or do you need to access them from multiple places on your network..?
If the former then then you would do just as well having the CX connected as SAN disk to the app server. You'd get better performance for one thing. NAS is only necessary if you want to access the data from multiple systems.

Ideally we would want to access the files from multiple places on the network. We have since determined that the application requires that the files be located on the same server with a method for mapping to a physical drive. We were able to point to a share with the app server's name using DFS. However this did not fully fix our problem with the software. Therefore we will be limited to ataching directly to the SAN for this data and sharing through the server over IP. Thanks for the reply.

'morning sureman,

In sucj case, what you need is not a CX but a NS, which is a real NAS box, with either its own disk (actually it is a cx with a data mover) or disks from a storage unit (then it'll have a "G" in the name).

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back