Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAS and backup suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpanther56

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
GB
We are having a similar issue to the guy in this thread thread881-1231137

Basically running out of storage on our three file servers and are thinking about a NAS approx 2 Tb, we are a college based in the U.K. and have a limited budget probably about £2-3000.
I've seen NAS devices well within that price range but i'm unsure about ways to backup this amount of data.

How do people backup NAS devices of this size?

Our network servers use Windows 2003 server with Active Directory if that has any bearing on compatiblity.

Cheers.

There are many ways to back up NAS but will more than likely be dependant on the make/model. There are some NAS devices that have built in backup software, and there are others that you have to add it to a backup scheme.

I typically see 2 methods. The first is attaching a tape device to the unit and using NDMP and a third party backup software.

The second method is to mount the share and backup the share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back