Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Naming the domain in active directory set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobot

MIS
Jan 11, 2002
US
My current set up involves a non-microsoft server running my email, web page, and ftp, and it's static IP address is the one registered with the world-wide DNS for my company's ftp.company.com, and email@company.com functions.

When I install my new Windows 2000 Server Domain Controller, the Active Directory will ask me for a Domain Name. If I name my new domain "company.com" so I can hit it from outside the LAN for remote access or remote printing functions, there will be problems because the DNS outside of my company will still point to the web server. Do I name my domain something else completely and set up more DNS records with my ISP, or do I name my new domain something like home.company.com and then add DNS records for that at the ISP?

I'm a little confused, so any info on standard procedures or ideas on domain naming for the active directoy in this situation is appreciated.

Thanks!

- Bob

Your isp is resolving your domain name to an ip address for internet users. Internet users use that to go directly to the ip address to get what they need. As long as the services they are looking for are on the ip address that was resolved by the isp (i.e. your webserver on the correct ip address attached to the web), you don't even need a domain name internally. Since the internet users are using the ip address by the time they get to your servers, you can use whatever DNS name you want locally. Think of it like this... they look up joe smith in the phone book at your isp to get the phone number. They call the phone number. Does it matter if bob doe answers the phone as long as bob doe is giving them their web page?

I recently received some info about AD domain naming which has cleared this up a bit, and I will probably name my domain something like home.company.com and then add a DNS record at the ISP to point home.company.com to my W2K server's IP address for remote access and/or internet printing.

Here's my point. If I am at my house and do remote access to company.com, the DNS points me to my webserver and not my W2K server. I could just use the IP address of the W2K server I guess.

Anyway, hopefully this clears up my original scenario a little for those reading along.

Thanks!

- Bob

Bob

The 'home.company.com' scenario works well, I use this on one of the sites I administer, for exactly that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back