Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Naming problem upgrading to ss2k8-R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramam1

Programmer
Mar 20, 2009
US
Hi there,
I run a Dev edition of SS2008 in a VM to dry run production changes. Right now I'm trying to qualify SS2008R2 for upgrade and I'm having an odd issue. When I run the upgrade advisor I am shown TWO instance names. The origin is that I changed the host name of the Windows box to a new name then back to the original name. Somehow that left some traces that the Upgrade Analyzer finds; if I try to connect via SSMS I can only connect to the current hostname. I've tried ignoring this and running the R2 Upgrade but it fails to complete the upgrade and offers to send diagnostics to Microsoft (b/c one of the sub-installers crashes along the way).
Aside from rebuilding my windows box, installing SS2k, configuring/recovering, and trying to upgrade to R2... any suggestions?
thanks!
ramam

FYI here is what worked for me after some trial and error:
1 Run ss2k8 repair installation; reboot
2 Update shared components only to R2; reboot
3 Update instance to R2; reboot
Tadah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back