Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

names.nsf migrated from MAC to PC platform 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMO6

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
US
I've moved a names.nsf file from a MAC to a PC running Win2k. The file was working OK until the user attempted to send mail to one of her contacts (a contact added after the migration). The newly added contacts' names don't automatically pop up as they usually do. I checked the address book and the newly added contacts are there. Notes just fails to find them by First and Lastname when composing a new email message. The contact info added to the file prior to the migration continues to work fine. Does anyone know why? Does anyone have a fix?

(6)

Not sure if this will help, but just might. You may want to contact your helpdesk or the person(s)who would do an install of Notes for the technical information needed in this setup.

1. Move the names.nsf file out to the desktop
2. Copy the notes.ini file out ot the desktop (just in case)
3. Open the notes.ini file in the lotus\notes directory and Delete all the line below the install directory path (Ex. Directory=c:\lotus\notes\data)
4. Launch notes and run through like it was the firstime setup.
5. Once notes is set up, open your newly created, empty names.nsf file.
6. Minimize notes, and double click on the names,nsf file that is on your desktop.
7. Select all of the entries that are in the addressbook of the old names.nsf, then click Edit>Copy.
8. Switch back to the empty names.nsf and Select Edit>Paste

You now have a newly created names.nsf file with all of your entries. See if that works. we have fied many of corrupted personal addressbook issues by doing that simple task and it usually takes less than a minute to do.

If something goes wrong, just put the names.nsf back in the data directory and the notes.ini back in the notes directory and you will be riht back to where you where before. ---------------------------------------
A+ Certified
Microsoft Certified Proffesional
---------------------------------------

I figured it out, thanks anyway. Turns out the admin had duplicates of yer user.id file. I setup her notes client with what I thought was the correct ID file. I looked on the MAC, and sure enough there was a different file w/ a different naming convention. I moved the old ID file over to the PC and everything works fine now.

Thanks again,

SMO6

P.S. Do you play StarCraft? ;) I'm looking for people to game w/.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back