Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name Space Clarification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danfood

Programmer
Aug 8, 2001
GB
This query has come from a discussion with JJR and Mr Tom, I just want to get other people's thoughts.

I am trying to clear up a few things about the difference between namespaces in my XSL files.

When I first started (because the examples in said so...) I was using (on the client-side):

xmlns:xsl="as my namespace....

However certain things that I wanted to do were not working

It was then suggested that I should use:

xmlns:xsl="
as this supported more functions (I also noticed that most of you guys and the books use this namespace)

However I was informed that this only works on the server-side and that the other one is only for client-side/out of date.

So I decided on the basis of this advice to change to server-side XSL (using windows 95, IE 5.5 and PWS) however the example of server-side XSL I went back to in XML101.com ( ) uses the namespace, that is to say the one that I now believed is the client-side/out of date namespace.

However this example from XML101 works fine.

I thought I would be clever and put in what I thought was the new all singing all dancing namespace ( into my server-side example from XML101. Then nothing.

Can people confirm for me that because I am running (and all the people that are viewing the site) IE5.5 the "transform" namespace won't work and I am stuck with the other one which lacks alot of functionality?

Stupid question then; how come if everyone appears to be using the "transform" namespace IE5.5 users (I) don't keep coming across xml/xsl websites that I can't view?

Thanks
Dan

the xmlns:xsl=" can work on the client, they just need to have msxml3 or higher installed, or be running ie 6, or some other browser that includes an xslt processor. There's an applet you can use with netscape called Xesalt if I remember correctly, also there are some java based browsers generally for embedded devices. but as a general rule since we have to deal with clients that understand only xmlns:xsl=" or no xsl namespace at all, we can say the xslt namespace is for server-side transformation and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back